Home
Help
Register
Log in

Search

 
   Active Threads  

You are here: Home > General > General Chat> Visual Studio 2008 Webforms designer problems
 

Pages: 1
General Chat
Visual Studio 2008 Webforms designer problems
Page:1/1 

  Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
JimFoye
User



Location:
Austin, TX
Joined on:
22-Jun-2004 04:03:11
Posted:
656 posts
# Posted on: 01-Feb-2008 03:39:49.  
Anybody having issues with this? I've found it to be terribly slow in both markup and design mode, and in design mode I actually have problems selecting labels sometimes. I'm seriously thinking about going back to VS 2005.

[Edit]

It's my understanding that the VS 2008 designer is actually not the same as what shipped with VS 2005, but instead an Office 2007 component called Visual Web Developer. I figured this out the hard way when I uninstalled Office 2007 (it was driving me insane), and then deleted Visual Web Developer stuff manually (I figured that Office 2007 setup just left it behind), and had to reinstall it because VS 2008 would hang when I went into design mode.
  Top
Otis
LLBLGen Pro Team



Location:
The Hague, The Netherlands
Joined on:
17-Aug-2003 18:00:36
Posted:
37859 posts
# Posted on: 01-Feb-2008 09:38:51.  
JimFoye wrote:
Anybody having issues with this? I've found it to be terribly slow in both markup and design mode, and in design mode I actually have problems selecting labels sometimes. I'm seriously thinking about going back to VS 2005.

I've heard these reports as well. THough I haven't payed that much attention to them to remember if there was a solution. It might sound odd, but if you mail scott guthrie you might get an answer as well Regular Smiley. What I know is that the vs.net 2005 editor is really shit, and this one should be much better. (though if I have to believe this: http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/201463.aspx (and strahl isn't the guy to overexxagerate things) it's also not that great)

THis is also the reason why I do all web page editing in dreamweaver. I've seen a truckload of editors for webpages, and I'm sure you've too, since 1994 or so, and dreamweaver is the first one which has its act together somewhat.

Quote:

[Edit]
It's my understanding that the VS 2008 designer is actually not the same as what shipped with VS 2005, but instead an Office 2007 component called Visual Web Developer. I figured this out the hard way when I uninstalled Office 2007 (it was driving me insane), and then deleted Visual Web Developer stuff manually (I figured that Office 2007 setup just left it behind), and had to reinstall it because VS 2008 would hang when I went into design mode.

Whoa! Shocked That's REALLY crap! Sorry to say it, but Office is for me the textbook example of crappy software.


Frans Bouma
LLBLGen Pro / ORM Profiler Lead Developer | Blog | Twitter
 
Top
JimFoye
User



Location:
Austin, TX
Joined on:
22-Jun-2004 04:03:11
Posted:
656 posts
# Posted on: 01-Feb-2008 16:06:37.  
Yeah, I had already read Rick's post and he obviously has encountered even more things, which really makes me nervous.

A few years ago I considered using Dreamweaver, and someone warned me away from it, I don't remember why. Maybe I should reconsider that option.

Thanks!
  Top
Walaa
Support Team



Location:

Joined on:
21-Aug-2005 16:03:48
Posted:
14584 posts
# Posted on: 03-Feb-2008 14:25:32.  
I'm using MS Expression Web, and I must say I'm very happy with it.

For some screen cast tutorials, check the following site:
http://www.learnexpression.com/


  Top
mihies
User



Location:
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Joined on:
29-Jan-2006 16:00:15
Posted:
799 posts
# Posted on: 03-Feb-2008 15:28:57.  
Walaa wrote:
I'm using MS Expression Web, and I must say I'm very happy with it.

For some screen cast tutorials, check the following site:
http://www.learnexpression.com/


AFAIK Expression Web doesn't know what to do with 3rd party controls (it doesn't draw them at all)
Miha Markic
MVP C#, LLBLGenPro Partner, DXSquad
Blog, Twitter
 
Top
JimFoye
User



Location:
Austin, TX
Joined on:
22-Jun-2004 04:03:11
Posted:
656 posts
# Posted on: 03-Feb-2008 20:21:47.  
Actually, I installed Expression Web, and I noticed the shortcoming about 3rd party controls.

Gee, why doesn't MS just make the Visual Studio designer work correctly?Sad


  Top
Brandt
User



Location:

Joined on:
04-Apr-2007 17:43:03
Posted:
142 posts
# Posted on: 05-Feb-2008 14:31:41.  
JimFoye wrote:
Actually, I installed Expression Web, and I noticed the shortcoming about 3rd party controls.

Gee, why doesn't MS just make the Visual Studio designer work correctly?Sad



The designer problems have been recognized by microsoft and they are releasing a patch. The problem thread can be found here - http://forums.asp.net/t/1194031.aspx?PageIndex=1.
Brandt  Top
Brandt
User



Location:

Joined on:
04-Apr-2007 17:43:03
Posted:
142 posts
# Posted on: 09-Feb-2008 05:43:46.  
Microsoft finally posted a fix and here is the link http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2008/02/09/downloadable-hotfix-performance-and-editor-fixes-for-microsoft-visual-studio-2008-and-visual-web-developer-express-2008.aspx.


I installed and tested and initially it seems that it solves the source and desiger view freezing problems in visual studio 2008


Brandt  Top
Pages: 1  


Powered by HnD ©2002-2007 Solutions Design
HnD uses LLBLGen Pro

Version: 2.1.12172008 Final.